If you’ve never tried to make your own granola before I highly recommend that you try out this recipe. Homemade granola is healthier for you, cheaper, and much more delicious. Try different combinations or nuts, seeds and dried fruit. I happened to have a surplus of dates and pecans and I find they make a delicious combo. Almonds and cranberries are another favourite of mine.
- 4 cups gluten free oats
- 1 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/3 + 2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4-1/2 cup chia seeds (optional)
- 1 cup pitted dates, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg (optional but suggested, adds great flavour)
- 1/8 tsp cloves (optional but also suggested)
- In a large bowl mix the oats, pecans, coconut, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds.
- In a small saucepan, whisk the oil and honey together over low-medium heat. Add the salt, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.
- Pour the mixture over the oat, nut and seed mixture. Stir to completely coat everything with the oil honey mixture.
- Place approximately half the mixture onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes (depending on how hot your over runs). Remove baking sheet and stir mixture. Place back in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove and stir again. Repeat this process until the granola is golden, approximately 20-25 minutes.
- Cool mixture. Stir in the dates and chia seeds.